Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Big News

It's official. I've gotten myself "knocked up." On June 29, 2005, I got my first positive home pregnancy test. We were in shock. It wasn't exactly an accident, but it happened a little quicker than we expected. Contrary to what I worried, I guess my reproductive factory is in full working order!

Its amazing. As a girl there are two days you fantasize about your whole life: your wedding day, and the day you meet your first baby. The past few months I have been "fantasizing" about the elusive second-line. I really never believed it could actually happen to me. It felt like something that always happened to other people. I felt the same way about my first kiss, graduating from high school and getting engaged. It was always such a shock to me when my turn finally came around.

I have to admit, one of my first thoughts after the bliss of the positive hpt had settled was "Crap. Now that there is something inside of me, its going to eventually have to come out...." As I pondered the meaning of that, I envisioned myself giving birth as charmingly as Kimberly Williams (Father of the Bride, part 2), Julianne Moore (Nine Months) and of course Jennifer Aniston as Rachel Green. It was a nice thought, but somehow I think my birthing experience will probably be more reminiscent of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with me looking like Charlize Theron in Monster.

Of course Brian was thrilled, if a little in shock. He actually tried to hug me to commemorate the moment, while I paced back and forth muttering such profundities as "Holy shit!" Hopefully my kid will never ask me what I said when I first found out I was pregnant with him.

So here's to the next nine months of my life and the wild ride that will unfold!!

No comments: